Saturday 26 June 2010

Day 61 Kessel to Afferden


Day 61. Kessel to Afferden. 67.58 kms cycled. 4.16 hours cycling. 29.81 km/h max speed. 15.77 km/h average speed. Weather – sunny and warm, mid 20s perfect for cycling.

What a beautiful part of the world this part of The Netherlands is. While Portugal’s wild and unspoilt scenery is still at the top of my list, The Netherlands and Dutch people in general are very quickly catching up.
  The Dutch are very friendly and hospitable and in many ways remind me of most Australians … nothing is too much trouble, love a chat and are very proud of their country.
  Today’s cycling was like riding through a picture postcard. Cyclists everywhere on the country tracks; a change of beautiful scenery at every turn; beautifully manicured gardens and farms; cargo boats on the River Maas and an overwhelming ‘how good is this’ feeling.
  I am still to find out if this part of The Netherlands is typical of the whole country, but just let’s say I’m pretty impressed with what I have seen so far.
  Every small country village is fascinating to explore and people are keen to engage in a conversation … in English!!!!!!!!!!!
  And when they learn that I am Australian, they are even keener to find out more about where I have cycled from – to and about Australia in general.
  After cycling 50+ kms today I thought it was time to find a campsite for the night, so called into the tourist information office at Bergen. Next thing I know I am in the lounge room in the home of Klaus, the guys who runs the tourist office, enjoying a fine French wine and fielding all sorts of questions about Australia and cycle touring in general.
  A photographic artist, Klaus has travelled extensively throughout the world, but is yet to make it to Australia and was keen to find out as much as he could.
  Two hours and four wines later, I finally set off to the campground at Afferden that he recommended armed with all sorts of local ‘must do’ information.
  Then after arriving at the campground, I find myself invited to more drinks with local Dutch campers who also provided me with a chair and table next to my tent so that I could “feel at home”.
  The local history of the area is also fascinating. Normally the boundary between countries is a river or other defining boundary. But not here between Germany and The Netherlands. The boundary between the two countries is just on 7.2 km towards Germany from the River Maas. I did wonder why, but thanks to Klaus I now know the answer.
  When Napoleon was fighting the Prussians (Germans) along the River Maas his canons had a range of 7.2 kms, so the Prussians eventually and sensibly agreed to the boundary between the two countries being – you guessed it – 7.2 kms from the River Maas. And that is where the boundary remains to this day. Great story, eh??
  Klaus was originally from Nijmegen, so that is where I am heading tomorrow. He has recommended a campsite to stay at and says the city has plenty for tourists to see and do. From what I can see it is about 30 km from where I am camped at Afferden, so it should provide another easy day’s riding tomorrow.

captions: Pic 1: They have these great bins along the cycle tracks ... you don't even have to get off the bike to get the rubbish in!! Pic 2: A watermill along the way. Pic 3: A particularly nice garden along the`way.
    
   
      

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as if you are really enjoying your stay in the Nederlands and you are meeting more people who speak English.You have some fun on the campsites !! Imagine you must sleep pretty well after having a glass or 2 xx

    ReplyDelete