Thursday 10 June 2010

Day 45 Sightseeing in Strasbourg


Day 45. Sightseeing in Strasbourg. Cycled 19.91 kms

Strasbourg is town absolutely full of tourists, and for good reason. It is an absolutely beautiful destination, full of history, magnificent 12th to 17th century architecture and with plenty to see.
  And into the bargain the weather has come good for my visit and turned on a warm, sunny day.
  The only problem was trying to find my way around. The whole city is built on roads that seemingly go around in circles, so it is incredibly easy to get lost which I did on numerous occasions.
  But then that is part of the fun of exploring such a beautiful city, at every turn you discover something else unexpected. Basically it was hard to know what to photograph, with canals, the city’s huge 12th century gothic Abbey, a district appropriately called ‘Old France’, and generally beautiful maintained buildings everywhere.
  I must have been so tired when I arrived on the train the previous night from the Loire Valley, that I could not remember how to get back into the city and spent an hour and about 8 or so kilometres riding around in circles trying to find the town.
  So it should be fun tomorrow when I have to go right through the centre of town to find the one and only cyclist-friendly bridge over the Rhine into Germany and the start of the next leg of my trip north.
  One of the tasks I set for myself today was to purchase maps of the Rhine through Germany. I don’t know what to read into it, but I went into numerous stores that sold maps – including a specialty hiking shop – and none sold maps of Germany.
  I think I finally found what I was looking for in about the 5th shop I went into. I guess the French don’t want their tourists defecting and taking their money over the border!!!!Or does it go deeper than that? Surely not.
 Anyway, I will let the photos do the talking for me. Strasbourg is a stunning destination, right up there with the most picturesque cities I have seen anywhere.

captions: General pics fromaround this beautiful city.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Guten Morgen - Hope you found that one bridge across the Rhine and are happily on your way in Germany, am quite excited to be travelling with you on this part of your trip as Dad and I spent quite a bit of time in and around that part of the world. Darling don't push yourself too hard, take lots of rests, you have had an awesome ride so far and your goal is not too far off now.
    Strassburg looked beautiful.
    Love you Mum X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dad,

    Just caught up on all your blogs after a few days off. The photos of your sightseeing day looks amazing, a lot of history.

    Work is going well, it's the Queens Bday long weekend here this weekend - has come at a good time to have a little bit of a break after my first crazy two weeks. Feeling pretty tired.

    Sounds like you are still pushing on, you must be SOOO super dooper fit now. How many belt buckles have you lost now??!! Not too many I hope!!!

    Can hopfeully catch you on skype one night this week, i will turn my profile online.

    Miss you and love you.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi have been off line 4 a couple of days so just catching up on your blog.Strasbourg is amazing and when we went to Germany it was so very clean there.I think they r probably trying to keep all the tourists in hence the difficulty in finding a way out !!! so hope by the time u recieve this you are on your way again x

    ReplyDelete