Sunday 13 June 2010

Day 46 Strasbourg (France) to Plittersdorf (Germany)

Day 46. Strasbourg (France) to Plittersdorf (Germany). 68.72 kms cycled. 4.44 hours cycling. 27.36 km/h max speed. 14.51 km/h average speed. Weather – sunny and hot with a persistent northerly wind.

Well, my French adventure is over and it is on to Germany. Another language to get my head around, more confusing road signs and maps to try to work out and much more amazing scenery and cities to explore.
France was everything and more than I was expecting. Although my stay was somewhat shorter than I expected after hitching a ride from Blois to Strasbourg on the train, I enjoyed 95 per cent of my time there.
The only blot on my memory bank will be the horrific traffic and crazy truck drivers on so-called secondary roads. I have to admit that after that terrible day where I came all-too-close to becoming another road statistic, I basically lost my nerve on French roads.
Trains where there were no traffic-free tracks suddenly became very appealing.
But all that said, France is an absolutely beautiful country, with friendly people, so much to see and do and it is just so diverse.
From the amazing crossing of the Pyrenees to the Atlantic Coast, Loire Valley and French/German border I saw so much from the seat of my trusty Trek 520 bike.
I just loved St Jean Pied de Port in the Pyrenees foothills; the Atlantic Coast reminded me so much of the Australian surf scene 30 years ago and I enjoyed discovering the quaint picture postcard surf villages; the Loire Valley is an amazing destination that anyone who visits France must see and Strasbourg was a fitting conclusion to a great 3+ weeks.

Now Germany. After working out Strasbourg’s circular road system for the last time to actually get into Germany, my first port of call was the first tourist office I could find to see if I could get more detailed maps of the Rhine route.
And not only were great maps available (much better than the ones I paid nearly 20 euros for the day before in Strasbourg), and they were free.
The day’s cycling was basically split between riding along the levy bank on the bank of the river to cycling along quiet country roads through quaint little villages.
As always the signage left plenty to the imagination so there were a number of wrong turns, but with a bit of head scratching and help from other cyclists I managed to work it out.
I had intended to cycle to Baden Baden, a town I know mum and dad visited a number of times on business, but it was 20km off the track which meant a 40km round trip. I’m afraid at this stage of the trip I just do not have the energy to go so far off the track in front of me!!
First thing tomorrow morning I will visit Barock Residence a huge castle in Rastatt which is about a 5km from where I am camped for the night.
It will be then off to Karlsruhe and maybe Heidelberg (it’s on a tributary to the Rhine, so hopefully there will be a bike track).
As I think I said about France, everything here is just so German. I just love the vast differences between all the countries.!!!!!!!!!!

captions: Pic 1: The best you get as far as France into Germany sign. Pic 2: Lunch overlooking the Rhine. Pic 3: Finally made it to Germany Pic 4: There are hundreds of white swans all along the river

No comments:

Post a Comment