Saturday 15 May 2010

Day 18 Medina to Duenas


Day 18 Medina to Duenas. 51.95kms cycled. 3.34 hours cycling. 42.16 km/h max speed. 14.51 km/h average speed. Weather – cold, wet and windy throughout.


I’m told it’s not normal for this time of year, but by gee am I getting sick of the freezing, wet and windy weather this part of Spain is experiencing at the moment.
 Basically it makes touring on a bicycle incredibly more difficult than it already is!
 After it rained again all night I knew I was in for a tough day, and believe me I was right.
  From the time I set out from Medina – after initially contemplating having the day off – I am the first to admit that I struggled.
  Not only was it constantly raining and bitterly cold, but I was riding straight into a persistent headwind. Not, I must admit, as strong as the headwinds I encountered in Portugal, but strong enough to make every turn of the pedal an effort.
  The result was a painful countdown of the kilometres, with my goal of making Cevico de la Torre – a 70km trip for the day – looking more and more of a pipedream the longer the day went on.
  Into the bargain I copped my second flat tyre in 3 days just out of Ampudia, which didn’t help improve my outlook on things.
  In the end I called it quits in Duenas, a historic town that is basically too cold and wet to explore.
  Unfortunately the smaller towns in Spain don’t have camping grounds, so I enquired at the Tourisimo office for directions to a suitable hostel.
  The result was the best tghing that happened all day, with my accommodation for the night a near brand new B&B just out of town for just 25 Euros complete with pay TV – no broadband unfortunately – which enabled me to watch the Madrid Tennis Open on live TV.
  So there you have it, what was a pretty ordinary day that finished on a bright note, and with some hope that the weather may start to improve tomorrow.


After repairing the flat tyre in Ampudia, I was in desperate need of a good meal, so went into the only restaurant in town.
  But wouldn’t you know it, it was siesta closing time and I was too late, it seemed. My pleadings for some sort of food must have hit a chord with the lady however, as she reluctantly agreed to get some soup.
  Great, I thought, but you should have seen what turned up. It must have been a local specialty, because it was basically a bowl full of hot, ground up animal fat. And into the bargain it tasted disgusting.
  After forcing myself to eat about half, I gave up and just ate the dry bread that came with it. If I didn’t know better I would say I was set up, but anyway the whole exercise cost 8 Euros, which was just as bad as the so-called soup.

caption. The only picture I took all day - repairing a flat tyre. It was too wet for any other pics.

1 comment:

  1. Gary

    In almost all of Spain, the restaurants are usually open only from 1 to 3 pm and from 9 pm to midnight. Probably (and unlike Portugal), you cannot eat a sandwich at 5 or 6 pm: la cocina es cerrada (the kitchen is closed).
    The "siesta time" is from 14 to 17 hours (or 18 in the summer). So, all shops and supermarkets are closed.

    About the strange soup, the dry bread should be dipped in the liquid. (Portuguese soups are the best in Europe: tasty and with a lot of vegetables)

    Better warm and sunny (but windy...) days will come next week.

    Regards,
    Joao

    ReplyDelete