Thursday 1 April 2010

JUST 3 WEEKS TO GO


Just 3 weeks to go!!! After much planning, training, expense and just plain hard work, the departure date for my Portugal to The Netherlands cycling adventure is now just around the corner.

In many ways I have mixed feelings about finally putting all my preparations into practice. After planning and talking about the trip for so long part of me just wants to get into it and start cycling. Another part of me, however, keeps finding more and more things to organise and isn’t quite so sure about the fast approaching departure date.

Nonetheless it is now exactly three weeks to go and I can’t wait to finally get going.

One of the last pieces of the readiness jigsaw was put into place last weekend when I cycled the 100km round trip to Mount Springbrook and back from my home on the Gold Coast.

The final 22km ascent to Purlingbrook Falls on Mount Springbrook boasts a relentless 8 to 12 degree (approx) climb without respite. With my trusty Trek 520 bicycle fully loaded with all the gear I plan to take to Europe – about 25kg in total – I easily made the climb despite an oppressively hot and humid day.

However to be able to repeat similar climbs day after day – which I will have to do in Portugal and over the Pyrenees – the ride did graphically illustrate one fact. I still have to lose considerable weight between now and the start of the ride - not me, but the gear that I am carrying, that is!!

In fact, carrying all my gear on the bike for the first time on such a tough ride was something of a revelation. At slow speed - especially climbing up hill – the bike did not feel as stable on the road as I would like with so much weight on board.

So what to do? Lose some weight, but what weight? The first, and probably the only thing I could immediately think of that was not absolutely necessary was the wet weather fly that I imported from the USA. At just under 1kg it is definitely a luxury that will just have to go. From there I have drawn a blank, but more has to go so I will have to systematically go through everything to assess its worth. I already feel as though I am travelling relatively frugally for a 3 month cycle tour, but more still has to go.

The problem with the escalating all-up weight of all my gear is that I plan to camp as much as I can along the way. This requires me to carry all relevant camping equipment such a suitable tent, cooking gear, sleeping bag etc etc which all add up when their individual weights are put together.

Anyway, there is no use worrying about it, I am sure I can find a few more items to leave behind so the bike will handle as it should under full load.

One positive note to come out of the ride to Mount Springbrook was my new tent (thanks Mum). With my old tent proving to be a claustrophobic hothouse, I knew that I had to find a tent that provided better ventilation in all weather conditions. After much searching I am now confident I have the answer despite an extra 800grams in weight. After a bit of head scratching I finally worked out how to put it up and am now pleased to report that it was just as practical as I had hoped … another problem solved!!!

Probably the last unresolved issue as far as my preparation goes is something of a painful issue – saddle sores.

I have been doing so many kilometres training – nearly 3000 at last count - that I have developed a couple of persistent saddle sores courtesy of a bad decision to wear underwear one day on a particularly long ride. Believe me I am well aware of the ‘no jocks’ rule when cycling, but I had a brain snap this particular day and am definitely paying the price.

As I have discovered it is a particularly difficult area to heal blisters and when they do start to heal the skin remains very tender for a long, long time. Suffice to say I have been a regular at the local chemist shop in recent times looking for any sort of remedy.

 As things stand at the moment I have gone for the protection at all costs option with medical foam, bandages and more covered by two pairs of cycling knicks hopefully providing the necessary protection from more skin-tearing damage.

Apart from that all is going well and I can’t wait to start cycling.

2 comments: